Mindfulness Goes Mainstream: Explore the transformative power of mindfulness meditation—now embraced by millions of ordinary people—through expert opinions and interviews including singer Jewel, clothing designer Eileen Fisher and UMASS Center for Mindfulness' Jon Kabat-Zinn. Note: This video is a short promo for a $20 DVD that supports PBS. 08/04/17 on PBS.org.
Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally.
~ Jon Kabat-Zinn
Miami Mindfulness offers mindfulness-based interventions founded on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT). Both are based on the work pioneered in 1979 by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, scientist, author and world-renowned mindfulness meditation pioneer, at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
Programs benefit adults, teens and children. These programs improve wellbeing and reduce stress-related physical, psychological and emotional symptoms.
Miami Mindfulness programs include:
Inner Journey ~ Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (IJ-MBSR)
This clinical, evidence-based, user-friendly, adult training program teaches moment-to-moment attention and awareness. It includes elements of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy in approaching difficult emotions and repetitive, negative thinking. It also emphasizes loving kindness and compassion.
Mindfulness-Based Programs, Classes and Retreats
- Advanced Mindfulness-Based Classes for Graduates of the IJ-MBSR Program
- Mindfulness-Based Compassion Program
- Mindfulness-Based Retreats and Workshops for education, healthcare, and business.
Miami Mindfulness programs are directed and taught by Valerie York-Zimmerman, one of only two CFM Certified Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Teachers in the State of Florida. Valerie was awarded certification by the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. She is one of the MBSR Mentors for the Mindfulness-Based Professional Training Institute at UC San Diego. Valerie was also nominated by The Miami Herald for the 2016 South Florida Visionary Award in education.
- Improves the overall quality of life
- Teaches how to manage and reduce stress
- Optimizes health and wellbeing
- Renews energy and vitality
- Improves focus and concentration
- Provides clarity of mind
- Reduces anxiety and worry
- Decreases anger and hostility
- Increases self-awareness and self-acceptance
- Develops compassion
- Cultivates a sense of balance, resilience and joy
- Accesses powerful inner resources for healing
We tell children:
Mindfulness is paying attention to your life, here and now, with kindness and curiosity.
Hear Valerie York-Zimmerman and
David Lawrence Jr. on
WLRN’s Topical Currents.